This beautiful chocolate and cheese bundt cake was hands down my favourite chocolate cake that I baked this year! The delicious moist chocolate cake layered with a decandent cheese layer was to die for!
It’s a tricky cake to bake so I would highly recommend getting a good quality bundt pan. I used a bundt pan from nordic ware . Not only are their pans beautiful but they also make it easier to bake bundt cakes. In spite of using a good pan, I still have manage to break this cake on occasions especially when I use a more tricky shape (like this one). The cheese layer can make it difficult to remove the cake from a pan as it doesn’t bond as strongly as the chocolate layer. I have included detailed steps on how to remove the cake from the pan if you are having difficulty. But for your first attempt, I would use a simpler pan shape such as a spiral bundt. I have included additional information in the notes if you are having difficulty removing the cake from the pan.
Talking about pans, I used a 10 cup pan for this cake m. If you don’t know the size of your bundt pan, simply pour water and see how many cups can you add before it starts to spill.
Don’t be put off by all this effort as this chocolate and cheese bundt cake is worth all the effort.
I hope you will give this chocolate and cheese bundt cake a try. And if you do, tag me on instagram incredible.kitchen
Cheese Cake Filling
- 200 gram full fat cream cheese or ricotta cheese
- 75 gram caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 small egg
- 1 tbsp plain flour
Chocolate Cake Batter
- 200 gram unsalted butter
- 100 ml milk
- 250 gram plain flour
- 350 gram caster sugar 300-350 grams, can use granulated sugar
- 75 gram cocoa powder use a good quality cocoa powder
- 11/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 small eggs
- 125 ml sour cream
- 100 ml hot coffee 2 tsp coffee boiled in 1/2 cup of water should yeild about 100ml of coffee
Raspberry Chocolate Glaze (completely optional)
- 200 gram fresh raspberry
- 150 gram white chocolate cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 100 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 175C
Cream cheese filling
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, eggs and flour until it's a smooth batter
- Melt the butter in a thick bottom pan. Once the butter has melted, mix in the milk. Set it aside
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- Add in the butter & milk mixture, eggs and sour cream to the dry ingredients. Beat until it's smooth. Beat it for 2-3 minutes at medium speed as you don't want to beat it. Make sure to use a spoon to make scrape the mixture from the side of the bowls to ensure that there is no dry mix
- Add hot coffee and mix it well
- For this bundt cake, I prep it just before I am ready to pour the batter
- Use butter to grease every nook and cranny of the 10-cup bundt pan – it's super important to grease is properly as this cake is quite finnicky and tends to stick to the pan. Use cocoa powder or plain flour to dust the pan.
- Add little more than half of the chocolate cake batter in the pan. Add cream cheese batter – try to make sure that it doesn't touch the side of the pans – as cream cheese can stick to the sides of the pan. Pour in the rest of the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave the cake to cool on a shelf for about 20 minutes. If you leave it any longer it might stick to the pan
- Cream cheese filling makes it harder to remove the cake from the pan- there is a danger that cake breaks apart so be careful. Gently Invert the pan on to a wire rack to remove the cake. If the cake doesn't come out, give it a gentle thump but not too hard. If that doesn't remove the cake from the pan, check the notes
Raspberry Chocolate Glaze
- Add raspberries with 2tbsp of water to a thick bottom pan
- Bring it boil and then simmer for anothe 15 minutes. Stir to make sure that it doesn' stick to the bottom of the pan
- Remove frome heat and strain the mixture through a sieve to remove all seeds. It should have the consistency of a loose jam. Let it cool before using
- In a thick bottom pan, bring to cream to "just boiling" point. Pour the cream over chocolate pieces making sure to cover the chocolate fully. Wait for a minute and then stir the mixture to ensure that chocolate is fully melter. The glaze should be completely smooth
- Start adding the raspberry mix to the chocolate mix until you get the desired colour and flavour
- Pour the glaze over the cake once the glaze has cooled