Is there anyone who doesn’t love corn?
And there are so many ways you can eat it: makki roti, popcorn, grilled corn, steamed corn, boiled cord with spicy tamarind chutney, masala steamed corn, maize porridge and the amazing corn bread!
Corn bread is staple of American South. I had corn bread for the first time at my friend Tracy’s place. She is originally from Louisiana and served it with gumbo. I loved it so much that she packed me a doggy bag to take with me! (Yes, I have no shame when it comes to food)
The beauty of corn bread is that you can eat it any way you like! Top it with melted cheese, slather with butter and honey, serve it with soup or stew, all brillian ways to eat corn bread.
I like to make my corn bread sweet and savoury with cheddar cheese, jalapeno and corn.
Give this recipe for corn bread a try!
- 200 gram coarse cornmeal if you can't find cornmeal, look for coarse polenta
- 200 ml milk
- 50 ml plain yogut
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 tbsp soft light brown sugar sugar if you don't have brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced (optional)
- 100 gram cheddar cheese shredded (optional)
- 1 cup corn kernels if using tinned corn, remove the the water(optional)
- Toast the cornmeal in a frying pan on low heat until fragrant. Stir to make sure it doesn't burn. It should take about 7-8 minutes
- Mix together the milk and yogurt. Add in half of the taosted cornmeal and set the other half aside. Leave to soak for at least a couple of hours or overnight in the fridge
- When ready to bake, heat the over to 220C
- Mix all the ingredients together including both the dry roasted and soaked corn meal except for the butter to make a smooth batter
- Set an oven-proof pan on high heat and add butter to the pan. Once the butter is browned (but not burned) add the batter. The batter should sizzle when it hits the pan
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until it's golden brown. The bread should bake in 15-20 minutes but check around 10 minutes. If it's burning cover with a parchment paper or aluminium foil. Bread is baked when skewer comes out clean
- Serve warm slathered with butter or with a warm cup of soup.