What do you have for breakfast?
Few years ago, while I was going through a challenging time, I took to visiting a beautiful bakery, Gail’s, in St Johnswood neighbourhood in London. While the decadent oatmeal and pecan cookies and their bread was what first attracted me to Gail’s, I went back regularly because of their lovely staff. Most of the staff were Italian and they took such good care of me that I ended up becoming friends with them.
Everything they serve is delicious but it was the pancakes with poached pears with a side of yogurt, that I ate every weekend for months. I am sharing the recipe for ricotta cheese pancakes that my friends from Gail’s shared with me. I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in London and wholeheartedly recommend that you try this breakfast (if they still make it). Let’s get whipping.
- 1 cup plain white flour maida in India or all-purpose flour in USA
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese can use paneer as a substitute
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sugar optional
- Separate out the eggs into two parts: egg whites in one bowl and egg whites in another bowl
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and salt
- Mix the ricotta cheese, egg yolks,yogurt and milk so that it's smooth mixture
- Combine the flour mixture with the cheese mixture. Blend them well but do not beat the mixture
- Beat the egg whites until egg whites are fluffy and almost stiff but not dry
- Add the egg whites to the flour and cheese mix slowly and gently. Make sure not to mix the egg whites completely. You should be able to see the fluffy white eggs separately in the mix
- Set th skillet on heat and coat the surface with butter or oil. When the skillet it hoat, add about 2-3 tbsp on the skillet. Cook until lightly browned on one side and then flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve them hot (right off the skillet) with a side of plain or greek yogurt, freshly poached pears (see notes for the recipe), walnuts and a drizzle of honey/maple syrup/agave syrup.
3 Replies to “Ricotta Cheese Pancakes”
Ooh pancakes with ricotta cheese! Decandent! Lovely pictures. Is it easy to get ricotta cheese in India? Can I use paneer?
My favorite! Never tried with ricotta cheese! Will give.it a.try
I love pancakes 🥰