I love meringues in all forms. I love eating them, styling them and photographing them. They photograph so beautfully!
You can serve them in so many differetn ways and pair them with summer fruits, autum fruits, yogurts, creams and syrups and curds.
In this recipe, I have paired the meringue with delicious mango curd, creamy whipped yogurt, passion fruit and pomegranate pearls.
It’s perfect for summer desserts and it never fails to impress the guests!
Moreover, meringues are so easy to make and can be made in advance before a party.
Are you ready for some summer fun?
Then try this recipe for meringue with mango curd.
- 120 gram egg whites about four small eggs
- 240 gram white caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp cornflour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Make Mango Curd
- 200 gram mango peeled and sliced or you can use mango pulp
- 20 gram lemon juice
- 20 gram powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 70 gram unsalted butter
- 200 gram mango peeled and cubed
- 6 passion fruit use both the flesh and seeds for garnishing
- 200 gram yogurt whipped
- 200 gram pomegranate pearls
- Make sure to measure the ingredients as you need the exact amount for this recipe.
- It's extremely important that all the utensils that use are completely dry and don't even have a hint of grease. A small amount of water and grease will destroy the meringues. I rub all the bowls, mixer blades, cutlery and piping bags with lime or lemon to remove grease from the pan and then use a dry dish cloth to remove any lemon residue.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degree centrigrade
- Spread the sugar in a baking pan and place it in the oven for seven minutes
- Remove sugar from the oven and mix in the corn flour and baking powder
- In parallel, start beating the egg whites using the whisk attachment on an electric mixer. Make sure that there is not even a hin of egg yolk as it will destroy the meringue. Whisk on low speed for 1-2 minutes until the eggs are foamy.
- Add cream of tartar
- Start beating at medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until the stiff peaks form. Stiff peaks are formed when the eggs turn completely white in colour and start to hold shape
- Then start adding sugar one tablespoon at a time to the egg whites. Make sure to bring the mixture back to stiff peaks after each spoonful of sugar
- This should take about 6-7 minutes in total (when using a hand-held electric whisk)
- Mix in the vanilla essence (optional)
- Pour the meringue mix on a parchment paper.
- Mold it in the shape of about 6 inch round cake. Then mold it in the shape of a volcano with a little well on the top for adding fruits – see pictures. Make sure that the parchment paper is wider than the base of the meringue as the meringue will expand during baking.
- If you want to add colour to the meringue, take aside 2-3 tbsp of the meringue and mix in the food colour of your choice. It's much better to use gel food colour for meringues.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 100 degrees centrigrade
- Bake the meringue for little over one hour. At no point, the oven door should be opened as it will produce cracks.
- After turning off the oven, I leave the meringue overnigth in the oven and open the oven door only in the morning. If you want, you can take meringue out after few hours in the oven
- Meringue can be made 2-3 days in advance. Store it in a cool, dry place
Make Mango Curd
- Mix together the mango, sugar, lemon juice and egg yolks in a blender until it is smooth. Strain to remove any solids and clumps
- Add the mixture in a pan on low hear. Whisk the mixturecontinuously to make sure that the eggs don't clump.
- Cook until the mixture thickens (about 2-3 minutes)
- Put the mixture through a seive while it is still hot. Mix in the butter gently and set it aside to cool
- Once the curd cools down, cover it and keep it in the fridge
- Curd can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
Assemble the Meringue
- Assemble the meringue just before serving as otherwise the meringue will soak in the moisture from the toppings and lose its crunchiness
- Just before serving whip the yogurt for 3-4 minutes until it is fluffy.
- Top the meringue with yogurt, mango curd, passion fruit and pomegranate pearls