Punjabis are famous for their big-hearted hospitality, lavish weddings and in general a passion for good food and good life. While punjabis, like most of the Indians eat vegetarian food majority of the time, they do love their chicken. No party or wedding is complete without dozens of chicken dishes. So that’s why you will see me publish a number of chicken dishes! However, this recipe for making chicken curry with cumin seeds is one of my favourites and I make it all the time. It’s easy to make, goes well with chapatis, parathas and rice and is always a party pleaser. Moreover, you can make it in advance and it will taste even better after couple of hours as the chicken will soak in all the flavours.
If you enjoy the recipe, please rate it and share it with your friends.
- 1.5 tbsp cumin seeds lightly roasted on low heat
- 2-3 tbsp mustard oil smoked
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 4-5 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 3-4 green chillies ends removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 lemon small, juiced
- 1.5 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- Handful fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and once the oil is hot add the roasted cumin seeds, ginger and chillies followed by onions.
- Sauté until onions turn translucent by alternating the heat between low and medium. About ten minutes.
- Slightly tilt the pan so that the oil collects on one side and push aside the onions. Add turmeric powder in the collected oil and cook the turmeric for few seconds.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook at high heat for five minutes until the chicken is slightly browned on all sides. Make sure to stir the ingredients to keep from burning.
- Add yogurt and salt. Stir the mixture well to make sure that the yogurt blends in well.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for about 40 minutes, stirring regularly.
- If it seems like the curry is getting too dry, try adding small amounts of water as you cook. Cook until the chicken is tender.
- Add lemon juice, coriander leaves and garam masala and turn off the heat.
13 Replies to “Golden Chicken Curry”
This recipe is so good! I loved it so much that I have used few times now. The last time I have slightly customised the recipe by using onions instead of shallots, adding a bit of celery and carrot (as I wanted it to have more veggies), cooking chicken with yogurt for first 20 minutes alone and adding veggies half way through as I wanted them to hold their texture. I also used more cumin seeds this time as I like their taste. Once I start eating it I cannot stop!
Thank you 🙂. Glad you liked it and made it your own ❤️
Nice and easy to cook curry recipe, loving it. You should try!
This is so gorgeous! I am going to try this one!
Wow! Looks pretty good.
yum yum 😍 😍 😍
Fancy and tasty looking good waterin g my mouth