Why by secretive when you can be clear?
Clear soups can seem very inaccessible because most of us are not used to cooking with these ingredients on a regular basis. However, if you look closely, all of these ingredients can be found on the shelf of any grocery shop. I happened upon this recipe for making clear rice noodle soup in the Balance magazine and I have loved it since then. I have made few alterations to the recipe but I make it pretty regularly during winter months. I hope you will give it a try!
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger stem peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cm lemon grass green part preferably, roughly crushed
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp. light soy sauce
- 50 gram flat rice noodles
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- Small handful of bok choy finely sliced
- Small Handfull of purple and green cabbage finely sliced
- Small handful of sprouts
- 1/2 red Serrano chillies reseeded and finely sliced
- Handful of coriander chopped
- 1/4 th small lime optional
- Heat the wok and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add star anise and lemon grass.
- After few seconds, add the ginger, garlic and spring onions. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring it to boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and the rice noodles. Cook the noodles for as long as the instructions ask for. Normally it's about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bok choy, cabbage, chillies and sprouts. Turn off the heat after two minutes minute.
- Garnish with bean sprouts and coriander. Squeeze fresh lime according to taste to add a bit of tartness to balance the salty.
When I am in a rush, I use yeast-free stock cubes to make stock and the results are pretty good.
Tried this recipe?Mention @Incredible.kitchen or tag #myincrediblekitchen!
2 Replies to “Clear Rice Noodle & Bok Choy Soup”
I tried this recipe and it’s absolutely fantasric! Thanks for sharing!!!
I have been looking.for. a clear soup recipe for.sometime. This looks very good