What is a fruit?
Did you know that tomatoes come in hue of colours, pink, green, purple, stripy and red and there are literally thousands of varieties of tomatoes: heirloom, vine, pearl, roma, Alicante, big girl, beef… However, most of us end up consuming only one or two varieties of tomatoes. I think it’s a real shame…so I have come up with the green tomatoes salad recipes. Well, technically I didn’t come up with it, the Burmese came up with it. Or to be even more precise, I had this salad at Lahpet, a Burmese restaurant in Shoreditch, London. I loved it so much that now I have it every time I go to Lahpet (I am nothing if not a creature of habit😊).
Last week, I went to Lahpet again with someone very special. So I used the opportunity to ask the staff about the ingredients in the recipe for making green tomato salad. I also happened upon a bumper crop of fresh green tomatoes in my local Bangladeshi shop, so I bought about hundred kilos (!) to experiment and try the recipe at home. And I was successful! My recipe was very close to the one I had Lahpet and it’s delicious. Do give it a try at home as it’s super easy.
- 4 green tomatoes, medium size (2-3 inches in diameter) finely chopped
- 2 shallots or a small onion
- 1-2 tbsp oil to sauté I used olive oil but you can try other vegetables oils
- 2 tsp soy sauce light
- 1 tsp sesame seeds lightly toasted
- Handful coriander leaves fresh, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- Add the shallots and turn the heat to medium low. Sauté until the shallots turn darkish brown (but not burned).
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool.
- Finely slice the tomatoes and arrange on a plate. Pour soy sauce, sprinkle the sesame seeds and salt. Add the sautéd shallots along and with the oil in which they were fried.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
3 Replies to “Green Tomato Salad”
I am always looking for healthy recipes! This seems super healthy and tasty! Thanks for sharing it!
Delicious and healthy 👌👌
Very healthy !