What good is Indian gooseberry?
Amla is considered a superfood in India and is one of the key ingredients in the Ayurvedic, Indian medicine system. It’s full of vitamin C along with other nutrients and is widely consumed in various forms: pickles, murabbas and jams. It’s even used as a hair mask and the amla oil is used for hair and scalp massage.
My mom makes amla aachar almost every week in the winters. The reason for making it fresh every week is that it not only it tastes best when made fresh but it also doesn’t last very long. So it’s a good thing that my mom’s recipe for making amla achaar is super easy and delicious.
We eat amla achaar with most meals in the winters and is especially good with the the saag (green mustard and spinach leaves dish which is a signature dish of Punjab) and makki roti (corn chapattis). After having this dinner recently, my little nephew declared it to be the best dinner he’s had so for! That’s pretty high praise from a 10-year old!
I will post recipes for saag and makki roti in future. In the meantime, try the amla aachar.
- 10 large amlas Indian gooseberries
- 1.5 tsp smoked mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi) turmeric
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Roast the cumin seeds on low heat until they are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Make sure to stir them continuously so that they don't burn.
- Once the seeds cool down, grind them coarsely.
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add oil once the pan is hot.
- Add amla to the pan and cover it with a lid.
- Cook on the low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent burning.
- After 10 minutes, push the amlas to the side and add turmeric in the collected oil. Cook turmeric for 10-15 seconds.
- Mix the turmeric and amlas and turn off the heat.
- Once the amlas have cooled down, add the salt, chilli powder and cumin powder and mix it well together.
- Amla aachar is ready!
4 Replies to “Amla Pickle (Indian Gooseberry Aachar)”
I have never tried this recipe! But looks really easy to make.
Yummy and healthy..
It is very important our health to relief acidity